Japanese Support on Fedora Core 2

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Fri Sep 17 18:35:14 UTC 2004

Raymond C. Rodgers wrote:
> About a month ago, I installed FC2 over my RedHat 9 installation, and
> discovered that both Mozilla and Firefox crashed right away when viewing
> one of my favorite sites (http://www.megatokyo.com ) I didn't figure out
> what was causing this crash until now: the Japanese character support.
>
> While I was attempting to get a machine translation of something from
> English to Japanese via various web sites, I noticed that Mozilla 1.7.2
> and Firefox 0.9 were continuing to crash and only when I visited a site
> that had Japanese characters. As a test, I requested
> http://www.nec.co.jp and watched Mozilla crash immediately. Is there a
> problem with the support for the language in FC2 or when migrating from
> RH9?

Hi Raymond,

My FC1 (I'll try FC2 when I get home from work) Moz 1.7.2 was able to
hit both of the sites above without a problem. Can you run:

strace mozilla http://www.megatokyo.com

in a terminal to see if there is any data that might help troubleshoot?

I don't have Firefox on this particular machine to try it out with that
browser here, but will let you know later from my FC2 box (I've got both
Moz and Firefox on the home machine).

Clint