Disabling IRQ #11

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 17 22:02:27 UTC 2004

Bill Shannon wrote:
> I tried that.  It made no difference.
>
> I'm still not clear on how to disable acpi in grub.conf.
> I tried
>
> 	options ide-cd ignore=hdd acpi=off
>
> and
>
> 	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-1.521 ro root=LABEL=/  hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off
>
> and neither seemed to make a difference.  In the latter case, I see this
> in /var/log/messages:

>From linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt:
        nousb           [USB] Disable the USB subsystem
        noacpi          [IA-32] Do not use ACPI for IRQ routing
                        or for PCI scanning.

        acpi=           [HW,ACPI] Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
                        Format: { force | off | ht | strict }
                        force -- enable ACPI if default was off
                        off -- disable ACPI if default was on
                        noirq -- do not use ACPI for IRQ routing
                        ht -- run only enough ACPI to enable Hyper Threading
                        strict --  Be less tolerant of platforms that are not
                                strictly ACPI specification compliant.

                        See also Documentation/pm.txt, pci=noacpi

It might also be worth temporarily disabling both sound and networking:
try commenting out the appropriate lines in /etc/modprobe.conf or
setting alias sound off.

It might *also* be worth playing with kernel.org kernels.

Hope this gives you a couple of ideas...

James.
--
E-mail address: james | ...  boxing the books up was a mistake: they are
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | welded to the floor through the power of gravity.