gdb problems

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 18 01:06:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 10:19:45AM -0400, Rob Shewan wrote:

> Help!
>
> I am attempting to debug a large (1.2GB) mutithreaded C++ application on
> Fedora Core 2.
>
> gdb is unable to set breakpoints in class methods contained in shared
> libraries. An error similar to "Cannot access memory at address 0x1b3ba"
> this is displayed by gdb. I have seen this question asked but never
> answered. Why?
>
> Additionally gdb doesn't handle the symbol table well using a C++
> namespace symbol in place of something more reasonable.

You might hunt down one of the gdb debugger mailing lists.
   http://gcc.gnu.org
   http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/

Make sure you are not running out of space.

Do you have the symbol rich development libraries loaded?

C++ does funny things with symbol names.  Compile time debugging
flags can minimize.  Turn off optimization... use  -g  and full
warnings at compile time.

Lastly can you reduce the problem to a small multi threaded C++
application.

Are the 'class methods' in the shared libraries yours or are they
system libraries.  If yours are they compiled for debugging? It is
uncommon for someone to need a breakpoint in a library you did not
author but you can compile them by hand and debug them too.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	In the USA, vote informed, second Tuesday Nov 2004.