Help Required

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Sat Sep 18 15:00:49 UTC 2004

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:12:10 +0530, Shreedhar Patil wrote:

> Hi ,
> I am new to Linux World. I have installed Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang)
> with linux kernel version 2.6.5-1.358
> Installation went fine, but I am getting error whenever log on to system -->
>
> -sh: /usr/local/bin/grep: cannot execute binary file
> -sh: /usr/local/bin/grep: cannot execute binary file
>
> this error I am getting with all accounts. ( including root). I get
> similar error when I tries to use vi or any other command.
> -sh-2.05b$ vi
> -sh: /usr/local/bin/vim: cannot execute binary file
>
> I checked the file permission. It's ok. ( read and executeto everyone.)
> -sh-2.05b$ ls -l /usr/local/bin/vim
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root bin 409600 Jun 16  1997 /usr/local/bin/vim

Where do these programs in /usr/local come from? They are not
from Fedora Core 2, but compiled in 1997. Did you mounted any
network folder on /usr/local? /usr/local/bin is in the standard
search PATH for executables before /usr/bin, so when you've got
non-working non-FC2 executables in /usr/local, all that will
fail. Delete them, unmount /usr/local, undo whatever you did to put
them there.

--
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux 2.6.7-1.494.2.2
loadavg: 1.10 1.05 1.01