Boot from external USB drive?

Kent Nyberg nyberg.kent at spray.se
Sat Sep 18 21:57:20 UTC 2004

lör 2004-09-18 klockan 23.46 skrev Brandon:
> I don't have room for another internal hard drive, and I was wondering
> if I installed Fedora on a external USB hard drive if I'd be able to
> boot Fedora from it. I tried to select a removable Kingston USB key as
> a boot device in my BIOS setup but I can only select IDE1 and IDE2 (my
> 2 hard drives)

Maybe grub can boot from the usb-drive? The bios might not be able to,
but that is irrelevant, since if grub can -  its ok. :)

If grub cant find the usb-drive, you could create an boot partition in
one of your disks and put the root (/) on the usb-disk. So, the kernel
is booted from the disks, and when usb is loaded, the kernel loads the
system from there..   It should work.
I dont have an usb-disk so I cant say if it works though.