CMI9739 chipset sound problem Module: snd-intel8x0

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sat Sep 18 22:15:13 UTC 2004

Carlo Orecchia wrote:

> the fact is that it only worked at first boot after installation. I
> cannot now install again
> fedora on this computer. Too complicated now. Is there anyway to solve
> this modifying alsa
> settings or whatever?
> The mixer is ok. all the volumes levels are high noone is mute. I just
> can't figure out what the
> problem is. I also tried with another pci sound card and everything was
> fine.

Carlo,
	You have to get your card working.  Nothing else will help until you
can find the mixer settings and modules loaded that work for you.
If you are having problems doing that, I'd suggest removing the
soundcard support from *all* of the configuration files and starting
again from scratch.  Comment out the lines in modprobe.conf, remove the
audio entry from /etc/sysconfig/hwconf.  If you have a
/etc/sysconfig/soundcard file, delete it.  Reboot your system to let
kudzu do the re-discovery of your sound card and attempt to re-install
it (drivers, modules, etc).  If you have to, run system-config-soundcard
(but I think it does not recognize the AC97 properly, which is why we
added the modprobe.conf stuff by hand). But, whatever you do, get the
sound card *working* again before saving the mixer settings with alsactl!

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net