xine help

Markus Huber humarfedoralists at yahoo.de
Sat Sep 18 22:56:21 UTC 2004

mike schrieb:

> Does anyone know how to make gxine or xine play .wmv files in fordora
> 2, had it working in fedora 1. I have the win32 codecs installed . I
> recieve playlist: show, is_visible=0 segmentation fault. The links im
> tring to play are at www.rock103.com twisted videos.
>
> thanks for any help

Suppose you have got the win32codec and you still experience that
problem - like I did.

I've got a working solution from
http://heliosj.iddings.us/wordpress/index.php.

Here is what I have done (it's exactly what is said on the mentioned
site) and worked well - no more segfaults with .wmv in xine or mediaplayer:

1. Edit /etc/syconfig/prelink and change

PRELINK_OPTS=-mR
PRELINK_OPTS="-mR –no-exec-shield”

2. touch /var/lib/misc/prelink.force

3. /etc/cron.daily/prelink
This relinks all the applications, and it takes quite a while.

4. execstack -s /path/to/mplayer
   execstack -s /path/to/xine
This turns off exec-shield for the mplayer and xine binary.

Hope it works for you as well.

Markus

PS: if this post will appear more times, my previous mails were not
getting throug - no idea why. I swapped now my charset from UTF-8 to
ISO-8859-1.