One /home/username shared amongst several Fedora instances using external HD

CB fedoralist at crispin.cb-ss.net
Sun Sep 19 03:15:40 UTC 2004

Markus Huber wrote:

> Maybe it is possible. I suppose during installation Fedora has to
> recognize the external disk so that it can get the mountpoint /home.
> If that is possible, then there is no problem using an external drive
> as /home directory.
>
> What I am absolutely not sure about, if it is possible to change the
> mountpoint /home on a running system. Somebody else have to help about
> that.
>
> I am thinking of changing the /home directory to another partition,
> but yet have not found a solution how to do it on a running system, so
> I personally would be interested in expert answer on that as well.
>
> Regards
> Markus

That part (changing the /home directory to a different mount point) I
know can be done as I did it a few weeks ago. I have lost the web
reference to an article showing how to do it but you should find
something if you google around. I think it went something like:

-  login as root
- init to single-user mode ( init 1)
- mount the new partition somewhere temporary
- copy all /home/* stuff to the new partition
- unmount the temporary partition and remount at /home
- init back to 5 or 3
- set up fstab so the new mountpoint is there on reboot

That may not be the exact sequence, but it was quite easy.