Gnome panel and desktop icons mysteriously changed: SOLVED but now is a vnc problem

CB fedoralist at crispin.cb-ss.net
Sun Sep 19 07:04:47 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-19 at 16:42, Jim Cornette wrote:

> It's interesting that the vncserver would cause this sort of problem.
> The only guess I would have is that the file that is open from the
> vncserver is not available for use with your local machine.since it is
> currently being used by the vncserver.
>
> Have you tried the opposite way, start the local GUI, then launch a vnc
> session?
>
> No help, just intrigued by the effects of the problem.
>
> Jim
>
> --
> Ha.  For once you're both wrong but not where you are thinking.
>
> 	- Larry McVoy to Linus Torvalds on linux-kernel

Just tried it: my local GUI is normal, and the vnc session gets the
'mysteriously changed' version.

I assume that one instance of gnome locks some config files, and in the
absence of those files the other gnome instance uses defaults of some
kind.

Anyway, it's not really a problem as I can't see that in real use I'd be
that likely to be logged on locally and remotely at the same time.

CB.