One /home/username shared amongst several Fedora instances using external HD

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 19 08:30:32 UTC 2004

CB wrote:
> Sorry, yes, I meant mounting *as* /home/username, so not only my docs
> but also all the config  directories (/home/.*) get shared between the
> machines (not simultaneously, of course).

Please note: you will either have to make sure that your numerical
user-ID is the same on each computer (which will require the admin's
co-operation) or try using a non-native filesystem, giving the
appropriate user-ID to the mount command.

Some software may not like having home on a non-Unix-style FS: I
wouldn't recommend it.

Changing the numeric ID for an existing user is not as easy as creating
a new user with the right numeric ID: use adduser -u.

Hope this helps

James.

--
E-mail address: james | A woodpigeon would, If a woodpigeon could,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | But a woodpigeon can't, So it won't.