strange ide-scsi problem

negges PresarioD at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 16:08:32 UTC 2004

I have upgraded to FC2 recently on my presario2500 and used the
precompiled kernel-2.6.8-1.541 which as always appended hdc=ide-scsi
on the command line to invoke SCSI emulation for my ATAPI cd-RW/DVD+RW
drive. Everything works fine with this kernel. But...

I downloaded kernel-2.6.5-1.358 and configured it to my taste
(including SCSI drivers and emulation) and compiled it. I made sure
the "hdc=ide-scsi' was appened to the command line as well and booted
into it.

Now when I try to access the cdrom for writting with cdrecord I get
the usual error messages:

##########################
root# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
Jörg Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to <warly at mandrakesoft.com>.
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
this version.
scsidev: 'ATA'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/hd*'. Cannot
open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
###########################

###########################
root# cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
Jörg Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to <warly at mandrakesoft.com>.
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
this version.
scsidev: 'ATAPI'
devname: 'ATAPI'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
Warning: The related libscg interface code is in pre alpha.
Warning: There may be fatal problems.
cdrecord: No such device or address. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
#############################

Looking around I found that 2.6.8-1.541 has 'ide-scsi' and 'scsi-mod'
running while everything works well, but my kernel 2.6.5-1.358 has
'ide-cd' and 'ide-scsi' running.

Here is my modprobe.conf:

alias eth0 natsemi
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 usb-uhci
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias net-pf-10 off
options ide-cd ignore=hdc
options 3c501 irq=10
options orinoco_cs irq=10
options hp irq=10
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-ali5451
alias snd-card-0 snd-ali5451
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
install ide-scsi { modprobe ide-cd; } ; /sbin/modprobe --first-time
--ignore-install ide-scsi
install sg { modprobe ide-scsi; } ; /sbin/modprobe --first-time
--ignore-install sg
install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install
sound-slot-0 && { /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null
2>&1 || :; }
install sr_mod { modprobe ide-scsi; } ; /sbin/modprobe --first-time
--ignore-install sr_mod
remove sound-slot-0 { /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
>/dev/null 2>&1 || :; } ; /sbin/modprobe -r --first-time
--ignore-remove sound-slot-0

So it seems to me there is no possibliity of conflict between ide-cd
and ide-scsi since ide-cd is specifically told to ignore 'hdc'. This
is the exact modprobe.conf that 2.6.8-1.541 boots in anyway.

Of course 'scsi-mod' is missing from the installed modules in my
custom kernel so maybe that has to do with it. Any good ideas?

Notice that I wouldn't like to abandon SCSI emulation for now to
direct ATAPI access since I use the DVD+RW for backups and the last
thing I want is nasty surprises of the newly developed ATAPI direct
access.

So what do you think? Did I miss any configuration option in my custom kernel?

Thanks in advance
Filippos