automatically umount a samba share?

Christopher J. Bottaro cjbottaro at alumni.cs.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 20 07:35:08 UTC 2004

Ted Kaczmarek wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-09-19 at 15:33, Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
>> is there anyway to automatically unmount a samba share when the
>> connection
>> is lost?  i frequently shutdown my windows machine before i remember to
>> unmount the samba shares on my linux box.  then on my linux box, whenever
>> i try to do anything with the mount point, it just freezes...not even
>> smbumount will work on it.
>>
>> thanks for the help.
>>
> Man I hope this is not the kernel bug coming back to life.
> Drove me nuts .
>
> Are you actively accessing anything on that mount when the problem
> occurs?

i don't think so.

> Does it happen if you are not running a gui as well?

i haven't tried.

> lsof and fuser might help you.

actually to clarify, my whole computer doesn't freeze, just the command i
issue that has to do with the share.  its like this:

smbmount //xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/My\ Documents My\ Documents
# startup k3b, burn some stuff from My Documents
# exit k3b
# shutdown windows
smbumount My\ Documents  # this command freezes and i have to ctrl-c

thanks.