lm_sensors module

Marc Williams marcw at onlymooo.com
Mon Sep 20 02:52:24 UTC 2004

I have an older dual processor Intel N440BX motherboard that I'm trying to
get working with lm_sensors.  It's not going well so far.  While I'm
certainly far from a sensors or kernek guru, I have successfully installed
and run lm_sensors on a few other FC1, FC2 and RH machines.

This particular N440BX machine is running a fully patched and up to date FC2
SMP.  When running sensors-detect, it tells me, among other things, to load
the bmcsensors driver.  The only problem is that there is no bmcsensors
driver.  All the other driver modules it tells me to load exist and load
fine.

Googling for bmcsensors didn't reveal too much but it did find this little
thread on a mailing list that I can't identify:
http://archives.andrew.net.au/lm-sensors/msg08605.html

What I gather from that exchange is that there used to be loadable modules
for bmcsensors for the 2.4 kernel and that this list poster has ported them
to 2.6.  But I'm afraid that's where my understanding of things end.  I have
applied patches before but I haven't comiled a kernel nor am I particularly
interested in learning how now.  But if I understand things, that's what
this thread is telling me I have to do if I want to load bmcsensors.  Does
that sound right?

I sure would appreciate any suggestions or words of encouragement about
bmcsensors and lm_sensors.  I simply don't know what to do next.  I would be
writing to the lm_sensors mailing list about this but I couldn't even find a
lm_sensors mailing list to write to.  Thanks!