Bloody Fedora Installation! (again)

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Mon Sep 20 12:58:57 UTC 2004

On September 20, 2004 9:18 am, James Wilkinson wrote:
> So what's it supposed to do?

Give an option that says "quit/power off". Something that leaves the drive
bootable and does not wipe grub.

> Remember that the whole point of an upgrade is to replace serveral
> gigabytes of files (for a full install). That means over-write, get rid
> of, destroy utterly. Once you're half-way through an install, then there
> is nothing to which you can return.

I didn't format so everything should have been there either in original form
or in the newer update form. So, while things may not have worked properly,
the idea that power had to be physically cut (power button) and that the
whole drive was crapped out is silly.

> You *could*, I suppose, try categorising all the OS' RPMS into "classes"
> that definitely do need to be upgraded together, and upgrade one class
> at a time, hoping that the end result would at least be bootable. But

The first stuff installed could be an emergency kernel/boot loader... Then you
could at least get to the drive to copy stuff if the install barfs.

> > (Waiting for the hail of "you idiot, all you had to do was..." emails.)
>
> Did you try upgrading again? Rolling forwards is a lot more practical
> than rolling back...

Yeah, but it was a process that took 2 days because it was at night, in a
house physically remote from anyone else. It was a pita.

Trevor Smith // trevor at haligonian.com