FC2 and Swapping

Mike McMullen mlm at loanprocessing.net
Mon Sep 20 21:54:43 UTC 2004

From: "Kyle Maxwell" <krmaxwell at gmail.com>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 2:43 PM
Subject: Re: FC2 and Swapping

> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:39:56 -0700, Mike McMullen
> <mlm at loanprocessing.net> wrote:
>
> > > Under FC1 with our load on a system with 512MB of memory it was
> > > not unusual to see 35MB to 100MB of swap utilized. Under FC2
> > > it is 0.
> > >
> > > The system seems to perform a little fast than FC2 did. Every once and
> > > a while it slows to a crawl then speeds up again. This usually happens
> > > when memory intensive apps like SpamAssassin kick in. Never doing
> > > these periods do I see any swap used at all.
> > >
> > That should be the system seems to perform a little faster than FC1.
>
> Just curious what the output of "free -m" shows. I think there were
> some VM improvements in the kernel, which is where that really should
> show up. Have you turned off any other processes that occupied memory
> space when you ran FC1 but not now?

Hi Kyle,

Output of free -m is as follows:

Mem:     503        486         16          0        237        151
-/+ buffers/cache:   97        405
Swap:    995          0          995

The application mix is exactly the same as it was under FC1. I've monitored
with free and top and swap is never used.

Mike