source rpms

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 20 22:21:11 UTC 2004

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 01:37:38AM +0800, Badli Al Rashid wrote:

> > Why not just compile the src.rpm with the "i686" optimizations?
> > E.g. "rpmbuild --rebuild --target=i686 samba-3.0.7-2.FC2.src.rpm" Worked
> >fine for me, anyway, but I only have dual PIII-600's.
>
> :O i didnt know that option exists (should have rpmbuild --help), my first
> time rebuilding the rpms anyway ;) mm.
>
> i need to enable the winbind and other cflags options in samba.spec file
> as well.thanks im doing "rpmbuild -ba samba.spec --target=i686" testing it
> seems to be working

The critical part in this is that you benchmark and profile
the application.

Compiler options are not as interesting as fixing blunders in code.

You will also find that benchmarkers will automate the process.  They
will script up all the compiler flags and the tests (including a
reboot for some things) then work their way through all or many of the
permutations.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l