Ownership problem with NFS exported /home

CB fedoralist at crispin.cb-ss.net
Tue Sep 21 04:48:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 09:55, Jeff Vian wrote:

> If you read the manpage on exports, the section on user id mapping might
> prove useful.
>
> It also helps to read all the related man pages for something you are
> doing.  (nfs, fstab, exports, mount, ets)

I should try and do this more. I find though that for a linux novice the
manpages seem to assume quite a high level of background linux
knowledge. In short, I often don't understand them ;)

> You can try setting it up so the users home directory is mounted by that
> user when they login. (export each users home directory from the
> server).  Use an option such as "user" or "users" in the fstab entry so
> it gets the users permissions and access at mount time.

I've been using autofs to do the mounting so far. Maybe I'm missing an
option in the auto.* file. More investigation needed.