NTP syncing

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 21 05:38:17 UTC 2004

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 10:18:53PM -0700, Mike McMullen wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to get ntp to sync with an ntp server without much luck
> on FC2.
>
> I have the following servers defined in /etc/ntp.conf
>
> server  time.nist.gov prefer
> server  ns.arc.nasa.gov prefer
> server  tick.usno.navy.mil prefer

It seems nifty to try and sync to such famous quality sites but they
are busy and overloaded.  You can get better time from other places
simply because cliend load is less.

It is better to select a modest set of tier 2 sites
that are published at the ntp.org home page

   http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.html
   http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2b.html

I found that it is good to build a list of ten then comment out all
but three.

There is an interesting project, pool.ntp.  Read about it.  I
recommend that you comment out your servers from the .gov and .mil
and add these.

    # http://www.pool.ntp.org/
    server pool.ntp.org
    server pool.ntp.org
    server pool.ntp.org

The abuse of famous public time reference sites is causing changes and
many requiring the exchange of passwd/keys.

If you have friendly administrators at near by companies you should
exchange services, keys and contact information.

Ask your ISP for a ntp reference list.
This is a service that all ISP's should be providing (IMO).

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	In the USA, vote informed, second Tuesday Nov 2004.