Not As Clever As I Thought I Was

Alexander Apprich a.apprich at science-computing.de
Tue Sep 21 11:30:06 UTC 2004

Dave Cross wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:39:38 +0200, Alexander Apprich
> <a.apprich at science-computing.de> wrote:
>
>>Dave Cross wrote:
>>
>>>2/ Why isn't there a Perl 5.8.5 rpm that works with the FC2 release?
>>
>>Don't have much of an answer for you, but is there a reason not using
>>ActiveState's ActivePerl?
>>http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePerl/Linux/5.8/ActivePerl-5.8.4.810-i686-linux.tar.gz
>>
>>Havn't tried it myself on Linux (I develop with Perl on Windows), but
>>maybe it's worth a try...
>

> Well, it's 5.8.4 instead of 5.8.5 for a start :)

Yeppers :-) Allways the same question: Do you reallt _need_ the latest
version??

> If I was that concerned, I could just build Perl 5.8.5 from source.
> But that would also mean building my own mod_perl. And that's a can of
> worms that I'd like to keep firmly closed.

Well, for me there is a big difference in building perl from scratch
and using ActiveState's ActivePerl. It should be very easy getting
the correct mod_perl via ppm3

[root at rubikon root]# export PATH="/usr/local/activeperl/bin:$PATH"
[root at rubikon root]# which perl
/usr/local/activeperl/bin/perl
[root at rubikon root]# which ppm3
/usr/local/activeperl/bin/ppm3
[root at rubikon root]# ppm3
PPM - Programmer's Package Manager version 3.1.
Copyright (c) 2001 ActiveState Corp. All Rights Reserved.
ActiveState is a devision of Sophos.

Entering interactive shell. Using Term::ReadLine::Perl as readline library.

Type 'help' to get started.

ppm> install mod_perl
====================
Install 'mod_perl' version 1.29 in ActivePerl 5.8.4.810.
====================
Downloaded 45 bytes.
Successfully installed mod_perl version 1.29 in ActivePerl 5.8.4.810.
ppm> exit

> I decided a year or so ago that wherever possible I'd stick with rpms
> supplied by my distribution. Generally that makes life much simpler.

Me, too. But didn't you say that you want to develop with a newer
version of perl? In case you want to develop with perl using apache
and mod_perl seems like you have to wait till it's availible...

Other than that, split perl into devel and work.

> Dave...

Alex