RH 9 chess program to Fedora

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Tue Sep 21 14:21:28 UTC 2004

YigalB wrote:
> Thank you - I found the place now... although I have been there few
> times but I failed because I am not a detective, and Linux, now I know,
> was made for detectives - the "download" is always hidden, and if it is
> found and you are naïve enough to think "rpm -i will work the first
> time...
>
> And then you have to guess where the dependencies are("run google"), and
> if you find them you have to guess which one is suitable for your
> machine - and most of the data is encoded within the file name...
>
> Sorry for the frustration, but Linux is good and lovely, but it is not
> user friendly. The man is the same as unix had 20 years ago - keep the
> "no examples at all" line.
>
> Oh yes - I know the term RTFM (I wrote many user guides in my life, and
> god knows how many times I said:"why don’t they read"), and trust me I
> try the official Linux answer ("run google").
>
> Again - thanks for guiding me.
>
> Yigal

You are having frustrations because you haven't learned about how
friendly yum is! The linux world is a nicer place because of yum (grin).
Simply follow the instructions I sent earlier to learn how to let yum to
all that work for you.

To painlessly set up yum, follow these instructions:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware

Now all you have to do to install xboard is:
1. open a terminal
2. type this: su
3. give it your root password
3. type this: yum install xboard

That's it -- really! Try it out, you'll love it!

Hope this helps,
Clint