NTP syncing

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Sep 21 15:17:54 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 21 September 2004 01:38, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
>On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 10:18:53PM -0700, Mike McMullen wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am trying to get ntp to sync with an ntp server without much
>> luck on FC2.
>>
>> I have the following servers defined in /etc/ntp.conf
>>
>> server  time.nist.gov prefer
>> server  ns.arc.nasa.gov prefer
>> server  tick.usno.navy.mil prefer
>
>It seems nifty to try and sync to such famous quality sites but they
>are busy and overloaded.  You can get better time from other places
>simply because cliend load is less.
>
>It is better to select a modest set of tier 2 sites
>that are published at the ntp.org home page
>
>   http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.html
>   http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2b.html
>
>I found that it is good to build a list of ten then comment out all
>but three.

I don't recall where I got it from, but I have a script that chooses 4
from a random list of about 38 servers.  If nothing else, the random
choice should reduce the average load on any one if everyone used
such a scheme.  But this was a nice link, I'm going to remove tick
and tock because they time out quite often, and add some from the
above stratum 2 list.

>There is an interesting project, pool.ntp.  Read about it.  I
>recommend that you comment out your servers from the .gov and .mil
>and add these.
>
>    # http://www.pool.ntp.org/
>    server pool.ntp.org
>    server pool.ntp.org
>    server pool.ntp.org
>

>The abuse of famous public time reference sites is causing changes
> and many requiring the exchange of passwd/keys.

I've wondered how long they can keep it up.

>If you have friendly administrators at near by companies you should
>exchange services, keys and contact information.
>
>Ask your ISP for a ntp reference list.
>This is a service that all ISP's should be providing (IMO).

Verizon hasn't volunteered that they have one or more such servers.
For me, that would be very nice.

>--
> T o m  M i t c h e l l
> In the USA, vote informed, second Tuesday Nov 2004.

Amen

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)