A contributor is not allowed to use Fedora legally?

Michael Jezierski - Systec Conveyors mjezierski at systecconveyors.com
Tue Sep 21 18:26:49 UTC 2004

Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

>I was wondering if I can do anything about not being able to use Fedora
>Core legally. To use software that is partly my own (I am a copyright
>co-holder for Mozilla, FriBidi, GNOME translations (sometimes under the
>name "FarsiWeb", Pango, etc), I need to "warrant that I am not located
>in Iran":

Odd isn't it. Something you created, you cannot use because of
longstanding feud between your country and the US.

>http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/2.91/x86_64/os/eula.txt
>
>But the problem is that I live there, and have been living there while
>working on all those pieces of software

However the trade sanctions between the USA (where this agreement was
created) and the named countries (Iraq, Iran, Cuba, etc.) is quite
clear. At first I thought this was the standard "128 bit encryption"
that the US Government doesn't want in "unfriendly" hands. But the
wording tells me that this applies to the whole software. As long as
Fedora as a whole is a product of USA origins, then I'm afraid that you
won't be able to "legally" use the software. Then again I think most
computer software of USA based companies falls into that prohibition,
including Micro$not.

>I would appreciate any kind of comment or recommendations, on-list or
>off-list. This has somehow created a mental problem for me...
>
>Roozbeh Pournader

Ooo. Ick. [Standard disclaimer: IANAL] Yes Red Hat is pretty much
REQUIRED to restrict distribution of this software to the nations on the
list. There is a clause that with a proper permit and government
clearances and a guarantee that this software won't be used to make or
control WMD's ... that could be your only legal option.

--
Mike Jezierski - IT Engineer
Systec Conveyors - Indianapolis, IN

-=-=-