A contributor is not allowed to use Fedora legally?

Michael Jezierski - Systec Conveyors mjezierski at systecconveyors.com
Tue Sep 21 19:41:20 UTC 2004

Sam Tregar wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Michael Jezierski - Systec Conveyors wrote:
>

>>>Does Iran recognize US copyright law?  If not I think you can probably
>>>do whatever you want with Fedora and still be on the right side of the
>>>only law that presently applies to you!
>>>

>>Red Hat is a US based company though. Knowingly sending software to a nation
>>under a trade sanction is illegal, not for our Iranian colleague but for Red
>>Hat. Just like trying to find an American car in Cuba made after 1959.
>>

>That may be true, but it has nothing to do with the legality of using
>the software in Iran.  Obviously that issue is covered by Iranian law,
>not US law!
>
>-sam

My point is - it's not illegal for OP to *use* the software. It's
illegal for Red Hat to distribute it to nations which the USA has a
trade embargo against. How can OP *use* the software if it's illegal
under USA law for it to be distributed to him, since it is technically
an work of USA origins? There's the billion Zloty question.

--
Mike Jezierski - IT Engineer
Systec Conveyors - Indianapolis, IN

-=-=-
Drunk driver’s alibi: “I didn’t know I was loaded!”