FC3t2 GRUB failure

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 22 03:49:40 UTC 2004

Tom Taylor wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> Performed an "UPGRADE" from FC2 to FC3test2 yesterday and now the system won't
> boot.  The word "GRUB" fills the screen continually scrolling down.
>
> In rescue mode, the /etc/boot/grub.conf file was not set up properly.  Edited
> that to show the new kernel (2.6.1-8.541smp) and its ancillary files but that
> didn't change the result.
>
> Has the grub.conf format been changed in FC3?  I couldn't find anything about
> this problem in bugzilla.
>
> As I said, this was done as an "UPGRADE".  If I can't get it working I can
> alway wipe the drive and do a full install and then rebuild the system from
> the saved files (full backup to the 2nd drive).
>
> Thanks, Tom

I think that you have a rare happening with this grub error. I upgraded
this computer from FC2 to a release candidate without having grub being
fowled up. I didn't actually go from FC2 to the FC3T2 upgrade/install
discs though. There might be a problem between this transition with grub
that is not noticed yet.

Upgrading from the release candidates to FC3T2 didn't mess up the
installation for me on two other computers that I tried.

One of the two computers used the smp kernel without failure.

Since you editited your grub.conf file to represent the correct kernel
and intird settings, maybe running grub-install
/dev/whatthebootpartitionis might correct this grub error. I don't think
the whole installation is whacked from the grub error.
One item that did change with the bootloader was the hidemenu option,
where the menu is hidden unless you press a key, then it shows.

TRying a new install might be of interest to you though. There might be
programs that were not pulled in from the upgrade attempt. udev and many
other new programs and methods were instituted. One of them might be
causing the boot failure that you are getting.

The fedora-test-list might be valuable for further inquiries into
problems encountered and will be seen by the developers who monitor the
test list.

my $.02

Jim

--
A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely
rearranging their prejudices.