Not As Clever As I Thought I Was

Alexander Apprich a.apprich at science-computing.de
Wed Sep 22 05:59:39 UTC 2004

Jeff Vian wrote:
> 0On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 06:12, Dave Cross wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:39:38 +0200, Alexander Apprich
>><a.apprich at science-computing.de> wrote:

>>>Don't have much of an answer for you, but is there a reason not using
>>>ActiveState's ActivePerl?
>>>http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePerl/Linux/5.8/ActivePerl-5.8.4.810-i686-linux.tar.gz
>>>
>>>Havn't tried it myself on Linux (I develop with Perl on Windows), but
>>>maybe it's worth a try...
>>
>>Well, it's 5.8.4 instead of 5.8.5 for a start :)
>>
>>If I was that concerned, I could just build Perl 5.8.5 from source.
>>But that would also mean building my own mod_perl. And that's a can of
>>worms that I'd like to keep firmly closed.
>>
>>I decided a year or so ago that wherever possible I'd stick with rpms
>>supplied by my distribution. Generally that makes life much simpler.
>>

> Alexander,
>
> In the interest of stability of my system I agree with Dave.

So do I. :-)

> Why would you need the few changes between 5.4.3 and 5.8.4 to require
> the long (and as you found, hellish) manual update to the bleeding edge.

That's what I said, too. As long as the installed version meets your
requirements, stay with it. Other than that use well tested packages
for a productive system.

Don't get me wrong, but it was Dave's question about perl 5.8.5 for
FC2. Not mine. I know very well what it means developing software with
a language a customer allways want the newest version because it has
soooo many bugfixes and improvment... ;-)

> If you are developing, as you say, then it makes sense to stick with a
> level of the language that you KNOW everyone using your app will have
> access to.  Otherwise, you are developing something that can only be
> used by a select few. (Those who are on the bleeding edge.)

I agree on that, too. Again, I didn't make Dave upgrade to 5.8.5. ;-)

% apprich at kidd apprich $ perl -v

% This is perl, v5.6.1 built for i686-linux

% Copyright 1987-2001, Larry Wall

Later

Alex