HP 5200c Scanner

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Wed Sep 22 15:17:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 22:18 -0700, Steve & Julie Croteau wrote:
> I'm fairly new to all of this so pardon my question but exactly how do
> I go about symbolically linking those files/devices?  Or what would
> you recommend that I read that would explain it for a newbie?  Thanks
> in advance!!

Are you using the USB or Parallel port?  If using parallel you may have
to manually load Parport SCSI drivers (ppscsi and epst?) or something.
For USB you should have to do nothing but connect the device and wait a
few seconds.

To use the the scanner run xsane.  Xsane should either detect the device
and autoselect it or popup a scanner selection dialog if it detects
multiple devices.

I assume you've been able to use your 5200 on Windows?  I never had any
luck getting the HP 5200C to work correctly on 2 computers running
Windows nor 2 running Linux.  It would very frequently lock up the
entire computer (Windows and Linux) after scanning on the parallel port.
When I tried to scan on the USB port (Windows or Linux) it would do the
lamp warmup, stage, and then generate millions of timeout errors.  HP
phone support mumbled something about a known problem with the USB port
and suggested I buy a 5300 if I wanted to use USB.  So I  threw it away
and got a Microtek.  Really bummed me because nearly every peripheral I
own is HP.  I got the HP 5200C to replace my last SCSI device, a HP 5P,
with a USB device.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/