New member with CD audio problem

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Wed Sep 22 15:23:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:56:58 -0400, Clint Harshaw wrote:

> paul wrote:
> > I am extremely new to Fedora 2 and could do with some advice.  I have
> > installed and am using Fedora core 2 version ( 2.6.8-1.521 ) but I am
> > unable to hear any CD audio.
> > My soundcard is working fine and the CD player can find and play the
> > music but I don't hear a thing!
> > On a separate drive I have Windows XP Pro and that plays ok.
> > Thanks in anticipation.
> > Paul
> >

> Hi Paul, and welcome to Fedora!
>
> I have a couple of questions that might help troubleshoot:
>
> 1. Do you have the CD audio cable connected properly from the CD drive
> to the card? (I once had a bad connection on a machine that was causing
> the problem. Once I seated the cable well, then I had CD sound.)

Without a cable, try XMMS (program name 'xmms') and configure its CD
player plugin to play Audio CDs _digitally_. That doesn't need a
cable. If that works and the other CD playing software doesn't, it
might be that it doesn't support digital playback [yet].

--
Fedora Core release 2.91 (FC3 Test 2) - Linux 2.6.8-1.541
loadavg: 1.42 1.83 2.11