wireless speedup/slowdown

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Wed Sep 22 16:14:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 00:32, Trevor Smith wrote:
> > If it *is* loaded, you can put the line "install ipv6 /bin/true" into
> > /etc/modprobe.conf and then reboot. In this case, a full reboot is
> > necessary since you must reload the kernel into the system.
>
> this will *disable* it?

Yes. Sounds counter-intuitive (I asked too), but what happens is that
modprobe.conf tells the kernel what to do when asked for a specific
module. So when something requests "ipv6" modprobe.conf is in effect
saying "don't install anything, just answer /bin/true so they go away
happy without an error code."

Short answer: it's a workaround at the moment, but it *will* disable
IPv6.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>