CUPS Problem

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Sep 22 23:48:28 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 22 September 2004 08:18, Andre Fettouhi wrote:
>I'm running Fedora Core 2 and I am having problems with printing on
> our HP Laserjet 4100. Everytime I look at the Print System in KDE
> via the desktop the desktop suddenly hangs and I have to kill X.
> The thing happens when I run system-config-printer or kprinter. If
> I uninstall cups then I can access everything but then I can't
> print anything because CUPS is the base of FC2. What can be causing
> this? I have 3 different computers running FC2 in the network and
> all of them have this behaviour.
>
>Kind Regards
>
>André Fettouhi

And I have to assume that your cups version is 1.1.19-1?  Its broken,
and when it was installed here, it killed anything kde related just
by hovering the mouse over a kprinter related name in the menu's.
Update to 1.1.20 or 1.1.21rc2. For the latter, you'll probably have
to build it yourself.  I did, along with gimp-print-4.2.7 which has
since turned into gutenprint-5.0beta2, and all of it works great

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)