X.org from FC3/Test2 on FC2 system?

Jose Celestino japc at co.sapo.pt
Thu Sep 23 00:01:36 UTC 2004

Words by Nifty Hat Mitch [Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 04:35:18PM -0700]:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 06:08:51PM -0500, Steve Snyder wrote:
> >
> > How foolish would it be to installed the X.org packages from FC3/Test2 on
> > my FC2 system?
> >
> > (My interest in the current version of X.org stems from the fact that the
> > FC2 packages (v6.7.x) do not support 3D on my video controller.  Support
> > for 3D on this hardware is one of the new features of the FC3/T2 (v6.8.x)
> > packages.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> The only way to know is to try it (or a lot of work).
> Since booting to runlevel 3 is a safety net for x problems
> you might just try it.
>
> With good notes you will know which packages to
> replace if you have a problem.

It works fine. Just remember to install fonts-xorg* packages in place of xorg-x11-*fonts
and to install xorg-x11-deprecated-libs-6.8.1-3.

Did that with no problem at all.

--
Jose Celestino | http://xpto.org/~japc/files/japc-pgpkey.asc