Time difference between Win98 and Fedora

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 23 01:12:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 07:08:32PM -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:
> From: Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net>
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:08:32 -0500
> Subject: Re: Time difference between Win98 and Fedora
>
> On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 07:43, James Wilkinson wrote:
> > Rob "Hairysocks" wrote:
> > > I have a dual-boot PC and notice that I can't get the time
> > > correct on both Win98 and Fedora. When the Win98 time is correct
> > > then the time on Fedora is one hour ahead.
> Please provide details on how this is accomplished to keep both OSes
> happy with the time.
>
> I have been unable to find the details for what you say, and I am one of
> those affected by my occasional boot to Win98 and the time change.

The key here is that Linux keeps time as UTS time
and with the ctime() library converts to a local
view of time for  each user (a global view).

When the system shuts down by default it writes UTS time to the RTC
and on boots it looks at a battery driven local hardware Real Time
Clock (RTC) to discover what time it is.

Windows keeps local time and writes local time to the RTC.

Since the Unix/Linux default does not match the WindowZ view
Linux has the configuration option of keeping local time in the RTC.

On the Time Zone tab of:
   /usr/bin/system-config-date

You will see a button that indicates that System Clock uses UTC.
If you check it you have the normal Unix/Linux use of the RTC.
Uncheck it and local time will be saved.

The configuration is saved in /etc/sysconfig/clock
and mine looks like:
     ZONE="America/Los_Angeles"
     UTC=false
     ARC=false

What does your /etc/sysconfig/clock look like?

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Me, I would "Rather" Not.