Samba - Sharing files with XP and missing files

Pavel R e97665728 at 013.net
Thu Sep 23 08:51:58 UTC 2004

YigalB wrote:

>>When package is installed run '/sbin/chkconfig swat on' and point your
>>browser to http://localhost:901
>>Pavel.
>>

>[<Yigal>]
>I made a progress - installed samba and now Samba is working. After
>pressing the "status" button I saw that smbd, nmbd& winbindd were not
>working - so I started them all and now I can see from the XP side a
>"localhost" - but I cant browse inside: I get "it is not accessible - I
>need rights from the Linux administrator".

Make sure samba ports (its 137-139 and 445) are not blocked by firewall.
Also you need to create samba accounts for your users and set passwords.
The easiest way is to make samba passwords identical to linux passwords,
but I don't know how good is it from a security viewpoint.

>When I go to Samba, pressing the "share" button, I see there is "create
>share" and choose "share" but nothing changes - and I see no directories
>to select to share.
>How do I progress from here?

I think home directories are shared by default, you can access them as
\\yourlinuxbox\username.
If you want to share additional directories, just enter name of the new
share and press "create share". Then you will be able to choose
directory and set other options.

Pavel.