what's tyhe first, and what's the last

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Sep 23 09:52:03 UTC 2004

fellons wrote:
> the installation of FC2 on my pc have many problems.
> I work and play with my new operating system, but I must close the
> eyes when boot, when start X and never watch mails and logs.
>
> I hope, with little steps to adjust all, but I foresee many efforts.
>
> The errors:
> -------------
> by mail sended by LogWatch:
> - error: stat of /var/log/ppp/connect-errors failed: No such file or directory

This is fixed by the errata version of the ppp package. Make sure you have
installed all of the updates for Fedora Core 2.

See http://www.joreybump.com/code/howto/smtpauth.html

> by messages log:
> Sep  8 19:39:45 home modprobe: FATAL: Error running install command
> for sound_slot_0
> Sep  8 19:39:45 home modprobe: FATAL: Error running install command
> for sound_slot_0
> Sep  8 19:39:45 home modprobe: FATAL: Error running install command
> for sound_slot_1
> Sep  8 19:39:45 home modprobe: FATAL: Error running install command
> for sound_slot_1
> Sep  8 19:39:46 home modprobe: FATAL: Error running install command
> for sound_slot_0

Do you have a sound card?

> on boot:
> - not start eth0 initialization (I don't remember exactly phrase)

Exact messages are needed for diagnostic. Try looking in /var/log/boot.log

> on X boot:
> - Error when inizializing sound driver

Do you have a sound card? What sort is it?

> on /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth0 :
> - this file blink and appear red, but is empty (???)

Do you have a network card?

> The Question :
> Where I must to concentrate my attention by the first ?
> What's the biggest problem ?

None of these are big problems if you have no sound and no network.

Regards, Paul.