configuring FC as a headless server

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 23 15:49:00 UTC 2004

   (although i'm doing this with a new FC3t2 box, i can't imagine it
will make a big difference from FC2).

   i want to configure my first headless server, and want to make sure
i do it properly so i don't hang it the first time and can never
recover. :-P

   installation:
 	FC3t2
 	X + KDE (in case i want to occasionally slap a
 		keyboard, mouse and monitor on for convenience)
 	all the standard GUI and cmdline admin tools

   now, to make this headless, from googling a bit, i plan on doing the
following:

   1) default run level of 3
   2) modify BIOS to ignore missing keyboard (if that's relevant here)
   3) add "apm=off" to GRUB boot line (what about acpi?)

   from my reading, that would seem to be sufficient.  thoughts?

rday