sendmail logs

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Sep 23 16:49:30 UTC 2004

Carlo Orecchia wrote:
> Can someone explain me what this means? It comes from my logs of sendmail
> i obviously allow relay on access file for localhost
> and i don't require any authentucation.
>
> ruleset=trust_auth, arg1=root at numb.darktech.org,
> relay=localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1],
> reject=550 5.7.1 <root at numb.darktech.org>... not authenticated: 1 Time(s)

This isn't a "real" error, it just says that the AUTH= parameter in the SMTP
MAIL command isn't trusted because the client didn't authenticate, so it's not
going to pass the AUTH= parameter on to the next hop. That's an expected log
message in this case, and you wouldn't get it with logging at the default
level (yours is at 10). It's not preventing delivery of any mail.

Paul.