'Johnny Appleseed' with FC2

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Sep 24 14:53:39 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 07:26, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
>     I'm about a week away from starting a Linux conversion company where
> I help users tired of Windows come to Fedora. (It's too early to use FC3
> on there yet, I think. :)
>
>     Questions:
>
>     1. RH9->FC1 was a big step; I'm not surprised it was better to
> install than to upgrade.  For those that have tried it, does it look
> like that's changed with FC3-test?  (I'm thinking it's not such a big
> change, but I don't know.)

I did not think RH9 to FC1 was such a big deal.  It was the jump to FC2
with a new kernel, xorg, and couple of other things that generated some
major gaps.

Have not tried any of the FC3 stuff yet but I expect it to be much
easier to jump to.

>     2. I like using email certs.  It just seems like the right way to do
> things.  I have a howto to follow, but I'm curious whether it'll be a
> problem with those on dynamic IP addresses?  Does anyone know for sure?

email certs in what context?  You can sign you messages no problem
regardless of what you IP is.  But I some how suspect that is not what
you are asking.

>     3. With the extreme age of tkined (and nothing really to take it's
> place) do people wanting to manage machines now just use MRTG and get
> over it?  :>

If you want to manage a number of systems MRTG is part of a solution.
You probably want to look at OpenNMS or Nagios.  I would recommend Big
Brother but they changed their licensing a year or so ago.  If you don't
mind paying a license fee Big Brother is a very nice tool for managing
all kinds of systems and services.  Been a while since I worked with
OpenNMS and Nagios so both have probably improved a lot.  More
complicated to setup than Big Brother but both are great network
management tools. MRTG is still a useful tool in combination with these
others.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com