FC1, USB mouse, but not through USB Hub

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri Sep 24 16:13:10 UTC 2004

On Thursday 23 Sep 2004 11:27 pm, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > Gary buddy
> > I would say you have faulty memory.
> > Windows doesn't fill the modules the same way linux does. The fact
> > that you can run windows first is proof.
> > If there is a fracture in the circut of the memory, it will open
> > when its cold and close when it hot , why? because when metals and
> > other substances get hot they swell, and shrink when cold.
> > The fact that you can actually boot into windows and work for a
> > while with problems suggests that it isn't a fault on any other
> > piece of hardware, Anyway hope this helps.
>
> Yes, download and run memtest86.  You'd be amazed at how much cruddy
> RAM is out there.  Windows will run with some of it, Linux hates it.

I James/Chadley

I didn't think that this was the problem as if the mouse is plugged
directly into the PC it always works with Linux.

However, I did download and use Memtest86 as I was curious and need a
good memory tester. I particularly like the bootable CD ISO.

I did a test when warm, and also when cold (turned off for 2 hours) and
both came up clear.
--
Gary Stainburn