FC1, USB mouse, but not through USB Hub

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri Sep 24 16:45:58 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 22 Sep 2004 1:22 pm, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Gary Stainburn wrote:
[snip]

> I hereby pronounce that weird.
>
> A few things you might want to try:
>
>  * Linux handles USB devices slightly differently if they're
> hotplugged (plugged in while the computer is turned on). You might
> see if that makes any difference: Remember that you can try
> unplugging and replugging the hub as well as the devices.

(With mouse plugged into the pc) I unplugged the hub and reconnected,
followed by doing the same for the joystick and printer. Made no
difference to the lsusb output.

/var/log/message entried found afterwards:

Sep 24 17:15:37 garyh kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.7-3, assigned
address 4
Sep 24 17:15:37 garyh kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new
address=4 (error=-71)
Sep 24 17:15:38 garyh kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.7-3, assigned
address 5
Sep 24 17:15:38 garyh kernel: usb.c: USB device not accepting new
address=5 (error=-71)

Happens when the hub is plugged in.

>  * What sort of USB subsystem do you have? Try lspci | grep -i usb
>    Some PCs will have two different USB controllers, and you could
> try plugging the hub into a different port.

[root at garyh root]# lspci | grep -i usb
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #1
(rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #2
(rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #3
(rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #4
(rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI
Controller (rev 02)
[root at garyh root]#

I tried different sockets on the PC with no effect.

>  * What happens if you only have one device plugged into the hub:
> does lsusb see them then? (You might as well try each of the
> devices).

Tried this, but didn't make any difference.  The only /var/log/messages
were when I unplugged/plugged the hub.

>  * Is the hub powered or unpowered? (Does it have a separate power
>    supply?) If not, then you could be finding that the power to the
> hub is marginal.

The hub is powered.  PLus, if that's the problem I'd expect to have
problems in XP too.

> Hope this helps,
>
> James.

Gary