Using redhat-config-httpd with another apache.

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 24 19:50:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 12:42:38PM -0500, Fritz Whittington wrote:
> >Mark Haney wrote:

> >>Second, are you asking to configure a second copy of apache on your
> >>machine?  Or just one not in the standard FC2 location?

> >installed else where that I am using. I still want to be able to use
> >the redhat-config-httpd even thought I can do it manually it would be
> >easier to use the GUI. Is there any way to point the config GUI to my
> >separate httpd.conf?
> >
> This may be completely off the wall, but can't you just pretend to
> configure the apache on your machine and then just transfer the
> resulting httpd.conf file over to the other machine?

That would be my first and safest thought.  Note that only a single
depth backup is made so make your own.

Since the tool is python it is not insane to copy or modify the
python.

A minor bit of grep and find and I see:
     ## File generated automatically by genClass.py
     ## Do not edit this file directly.
    ./ApacheBase.py:   rmd5 = hexstr (md5 (open ('/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf', 'r').read ()).digest())
    ./ApacheBase.py:     os.remove ('/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf.bak')
    ./ApacheBase.py:     os.rename ('/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf', '/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf.bak')
    ./ApacheBase.py:     open ('/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf', 'w').write (result)

There is no magic $HTTPDCONF but it looks very possible in an open source world to change...
Just do a bit of digging... and do not ignore the pile of handy documents.

    /usr/share/doc/redhat-config-httpd/html/intro.html
    /usr/share/doc/tux-3.2.18/tux/configuration.html

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Me, I would "Rather" Not.