'Johnny Appleseed' with FC2

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sat Sep 25 20:27:59 UTC 2004

On Fri 24 September 2004 15:53, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 07:26, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> >     I'm about a week away from starting a Linux conversion company where
> > I help users tired of Windows come to Fedora. (It's too early to use FC3
> > on there yet, I think. :)
> >
> >     Questions:
> >
> >     1. RH9->FC1 was a big step; I'm not surprised it was better to
> > install than to upgrade.  For those that have tried it, does it look
> > like that's changed with FC3-test?  (I'm thinking it's not such a big
> > change, but I don't know.)
>
> I did not think RH9 to FC1 was such a big deal.  It was the jump to FC2
> with a new kernel, xorg, and couple of other things that generated some
> major gaps.
>
> Have not tried any of the FC3 stuff yet but I expect it to be much
> easier to jump to.
>
> >     2. I like using email certs.  It just seems like the right way to do
> > things.  I have a howto to follow, but I'm curious whether it'll be a
> > problem with those on dynamic IP addresses?  Does anyone know for sure?
>
> email certs in what context?  You can sign you messages no problem
> regardless of what you IP is.  But I some how suspect that is not what
> you are asking.
are you possibly referring to authenticated SMTP - using client/server certs
to authenticate with TLS?
you can install client certificates on any machine, and they don't necessarily
have to have anything to do with the machine's IP (which can make them
risky). I have done this with postfix (which makes things very easy) as my
main work machine is  a laptop which will have a different IP at each of the
many sites I send mail from.
You can then allow only authenticated hosts to relay through your server.

--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX