Knowing the rc.d system

Steve Magee smagee at arb.ca.gov
Fri Sep 24 22:18:33 UTC 2004

Some time ago, I was taught how the rc.d init system worked.  If in
init state 3 and want to move to init state 1, simply type in "init 1"
as root.  All K##filename are executed in order in the rc3.d directory
and all S##filename are executed in order in the rc1.d directory to
get you to that level.

That doesn't appear to be the case with Fedora.  Either I forgot or
the /var/lock/subsys/* files are new.  Regarding /etc/init.d/dbora.
I have modified this file for touch (for start) and rm (for stop).
I added the necessary links in rc[06].d (K01dbora) and rc3.d
(S99dbora).  rc5.d is not an issue.

Oracle wanted the /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/K01dbora in place.  I can never get
this to work.  I also saw other ./rc3.d/K* files that also did
not fire off.  Why?

Can someone point me to a site that will explain when the K or S links
are executed?  What relation the /var/lock/subsys/filename have when
the K or S links are run?  Who manages the /var/lock/subsys/filename
directory; e.g. /etc/init.d/filename or S99killall?

Thanks in advance.
Steve