How to eliminate 'ls' color in xterm -

David Gavin dgavin at davegavin.com
Sat Sep 25 13:19:04 UTC 2004

Bob Goodwin said:
> How can I eliminate color in "ls" listings?
>
> In .bashrc  can add    alias ls='ls --color=never'
>
> But this does not change the listing in the gui terminal window.
>
> There must be a place to "alias" ls  for something like    ls -l --si
> --color=never  ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia
>

> --

 Bob,

   edit /etc/DIR_COLORS, find the line
COLOR tty

 and change it to:

COLOR none

 That'll change the behavior on text screens. Do the same to the file
/etc/DIR_COLORS.xterm to make the change on xterms.

 If you want to just change the color choices, these are the file that you
want to modify, just look a little further downand you'll see the line:

# Below are the color init strings for the basic file types.

 read the comments and you can mess with the fie types and color choices
until you find something that works.

Have fun,
 Dave Gavin

--
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed
out of a tube.  That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba....