Linux on old laptop

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Sat Sep 25 15:59:07 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 11:41, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > Unfortunately, FC (and RH) distros seem to be aimed at the newer
> > > machines instead of having a mechanism for text only install for lower
> > > end boxes (including the ability to have a command line only
> > > environment)
>
> > What ever gave you the idea that RHL/FC cannot be installed text-only,
> > or with less "shtuff" on lower-end machines?
>
> I've never been able to do it and have installed RH/FC on well over 200
> machines. The bottom enders have always flumped me.

Paul,

When you boot the CD to start the install....  Try typing in at the
boot: prompt "linux text" (without quotes, of course)....  This has been
helpful installing to problematic graphics cards and lower end
machines....

Now when you get to the spot on packages choose to "Customize packages"
and then eliminate those package "groups" that you would not like to
install, like perhaps, skip "X Window System" and "Gnome Desktop" if it
is a lower end machine or is going to function as a server where
graphics are simply overhead.....

HTH,

--Rob