Rant on LABELs

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Sat Sep 25 19:48:40 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 11:06, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Just got caught again by this LABEL nonsense.
> I was mounting my laptop hard disk on my desktop -
> both running Fedora-
> and the whole thing was thrown into confusion
> because there were two partitions LABELed "/",
> on my desktop hard disk and on the laptop hard disk.
>
> I had to start again in single mode,
> and change all the entries in /etc/fstab and /etc/grub.conf .
>
> Who thought up this LABEL business?
> It seems to me to cause much more trouble than any help it gives.

Tim,

LOL!!!  I went through this same thing with a second drive on my laptop
as I did a fresh install of FC2 (old drive was FC1)....

BTW, the theory is to help us with SCSI dynamic drive assignment, but
most of us have IDE....

I wonder if we should file an RFE that would give us an install option
to prevent the automatic creation of these "wonderful" labels...

--Rob