Nagging X problem

Kent Nyberg nyberg.kent at spray.se
Sat Sep 25 19:53:35 UTC 2004

On lör, 2004-09-25 at 15:38 -0400, Thomas E. Dukes wrote:

> > > This is weird........
> > >
> > > It works if I am logged in as edukes but not root.  Why
> > does it allow
> > > me to login as root in runlevel 5 but not if started
> > manually under runlevel 3?
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks again!!
> > >

> > Cant say something about your problem, but you should not use
> > the root account that way anyhow.. Mostly its better to get
> > used to using 'su' to become root for things you need to do.
> > Being root means any mistake might break the whole system,
> > which is not just mistakes idiots do - we all do them some times.
>
> Hi Kent,
>
> I understand.
>
> How do you su to root in X?  I need to install the new firefox.  If I'm not
> root, I can only install it to the non-user home directory.  I'd rather
> install it once than multiple times.
>
> Thanks

su is a command you run from a terminal, so run gnome-terminal.

But if your only installing programs, then starting X as root might not
be the biggest problem in the world :)
Do as you like.

Otherwise, installing program when you have used su depends on how you
want to install them. Just run the chosed program from the terminal..
and it should work.

--
Kent Nyberg <nyberg.kent at spray.se>