Nagging X problem

Thomas E. Dukes edukes at alltel.net
Sat Sep 25 20:02:28 UTC 2004

> > > does it allow
> > > manually under runlevel 3?

> > > Cant say something about your problem, but you should not use the
> > > root account that way anyhow.. Mostly its better to get used to
> > > using 'su' to become root for things you need to do.
> > > Being root means any mistake might break the whole
> system, which is
> > > not just mistakes idiots do - we all do them some times.
> >
> > Hi Kent,
> >
> > I understand.
> >
> > How do you su to root in X?  I need to install the new firefox.  If
> > I'm not root, I can only install it to the non-user home
> directory.
> > I'd rather install it once than multiple times.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> su is a command you run from a terminal, so run gnome-terminal.
>
> But if your only installing programs, then starting X as root
> might not be the biggest problem in the world :) Do as you like.
>
> Otherwise, installing program when you have used su depends
> on how you want to install them. Just run the chosed program
> from the terminal..
> and it should work.

Hey Kent,

I'd like to be able to start X as root for such occassions but this lead me
back to my initial post.  I didn't realize it was an X/root thing until
today.  I still would rather boot to runlevel 3 and stat X manually, when
needed.

What do I neet to edit to allow root to start X manually.  Its weird that it
works under runlevel 5.

TIA