SATA and SCSI together

Geoffrey Leach geoff at direcway.com
Sat Sep 25 20:46:25 UTC 2004

On 09.17 16:24, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Sa, den 18.09.2004 schrieb Geoffrey Leach um 0:57:
>
> > Yes I do mean ID 2 and 3.  Sorry for the confusion.
> >
> > There is nothing in any of the /var/log files relating to
> installing
>
> > aic7xxx
>
> /var/log/messages is the syslog file of interest.
>
> While running "tail -f /var/log/messages" in one terminal or console,
> "modprobe -v" the desired kernel module in another terminal / console
> and watch the syslog messages. The aic7xxx module should be fit your
> SCSI controller type. You may try too the aic7xxx_old. List all
> loaded
> kernel modules using "lsmod" and check this list. Be sure that you
> configured the SCSI bus correctly. Control everything in the
> controller
> BIOS.

I have resolved my problem.  As Alexander implies, there is no problem
mixing SATA and SCSI, providing of course that the IDs to not conflict.

The source of my problem was that the Adaptec 29160 adapter that I am
using is a bus mastering card.  The documentation for my MB
(AccelerTech HDAMB) does not mention this capability.

However, at the tech support for the system builder (Monarch) puts it,
    PCI Bus mastering capability is standard among modern
    motherboards, so I would expect your 29160N SCSI card to
    function properly with your HDAMB. I suggest that you try
    different PCI bus, because different PCI busses use different
    resources, and conflicts can be avoided by using the card in a
    different bus.

And, indeed, with a little trial and error, I discovered the slot that
supports it.