smb shares and the firewall

Shawn Milo shawnmilo at runbox.com
Sun Sep 26 02:50:30 UTC 2004

I tried to connect to a network share using the Gnome "connect to
server" tool,
but I could not. I disabled the firewall, and all is working.

I brought up the firewall tool under System Settings/Security level, and
there are
no options there to enable or disable anything other than www, ftp, ssh,
telnet, and
smtp.

Do I just have to know, or find out, the port(s) used by smb? Is there
any way that,
when a server or a port tries to make a connection for the first time, I
can be prompted,
the way other firewalls work, such as ZoneAlarm?

As of now, I have the firewall disabled, and the network shares are
working fine, but I
would prefer to have the firewall running on this machine, although it
isn't running
Windows and is behind a router already.

Thank you,
Shawn