Rant on LABELs

Aaron Schlaegel 777tahder at schlaegel.com
Sun Sep 26 04:11:01 UTC 2004

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Just got caught again by this LABEL nonsense.
> I was mounting my laptop hard disk on my desktop -
> both running Fedora-
> and the whole thing was thrown into confusion
> because there were two partitions LABELed "/",
> on my desktop hard disk and on the laptop hard disk.
>
> I had to start again in single mode,
> and change all the entries in /etc/fstab and /etc/grub.conf .
>
> Who thought up this LABEL business?
> It seems to me to cause much more trouble than any help it gives.

I appreciate the labels after I change my hard disk in some way. It still just works.

I have run into your problem when I boot up my system with my backup drive plugged in.

I would appreciate the ability to specify a search order for the labels. Although, I bet most desktop users only have one hard drive.