I want to clean my hard disk

Markus Huber humarfedoralists at yahoo.de
Sun Sep 26 15:39:26 UTC 2004

Am So, den 26.09.2004 schrieb Arnaldo Bento um 16:53:
> Hello
>

> I want to clean and optimize my hard disk that has FC2.
>
> Which the suitable program?

Linux does not slow down when you have older apps on it. It is not
Windows.

1.
But to get rid of not used packages, get apt and it's frontend synaptic.
You can browse installed apps and get rid of those you do not need.

2.
If you think there is something wrong with your hdd do:
# fsck.ext3 -n /dev/hdX

You can use that on a mounted device as well, because it does not write
on the disk. If it tells you a problem, then do

# fsck --help

and choose your method you want to use on a not mounted disk (use the
Fedora Rescue CD).

3.
If your data is in a mess and you want to get rid of multiple identical
files, maybe somebody else can help out, I just do not know the
procedure because I have not needed it yet.

4.
Please tell us more that we really can give you advice.

Regards,
Markus